What is most important in creating a graphic design that will persuade someone to purchase a game?

Sunday, March 30, 2014

March Post: Talent of the Masters Submission

Wow, it's already nearing the end of March? Sooner or later, we'll all be walking up to claim our diplomas, haha. Small talk aside, this post is about my Talent of the Masters submission. Lately, I've been into this anime-style miniseries on Roosterteeth's YouTube channel called "RWBY". I pulled this image from it:
There are four main characters, all of which seem to revolve around their respective colors. I decided to vector it in Adobe Illustrator, similar to the art style used in the episodes.
I had to use a lot of negative space and layers than usual for this one to give it a more flat look.
I cannot express how useful the pen tool is, especially for these kinds of projects. It can create very specific and obscure shapes you normally can't make with other tools.
This is the end product, in ultra-high resolution, since I intend to print it out somewhere. I thought the whole thing was super fun, and I couldn't simply stop at just one:
This character is a reference to Snow White, so in the show, she's literally white as paper, which can be very hard to see at times. I decided to edit her color scheme a bit, replacing white with a very light gray and adding blue highlights.

I'm especially proud of how I did with the gradients on these parts.
Eventually it came out to look like this. I really like the idea of negative space. It's like saying something, without actually saying it. Hopefully this brings in a lot of revenue in the auction ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment