What is most important in creating a graphic design that will persuade someone to purchase a game?

Monday, May 12, 2014

Blog 21: Mentorship

Log of specific hours with a total and description of duties updated on the right
  • I worked with Inaki Serrano of Biolase in Irvine performing various tasks to come closer to finding answers
What is the most important thing you gained from this experience and why?

  • graphic design as a senior topic taught me many things, like how to see from others' perspectives, how to appeal to different crowds, and even how to be nitpicky about little things. Most importantly, I've learned to pay more attention to details. This is because in many occasions, one tiny missed detail can throw off your intentions. In designing something, colors are considered by some as small details to be scoffed at. However, colors have different meanings to each and every viewer. For example, red is linked with passion, anger, violence, and even blood, but in Asian cultures, it's linked with good fortune and happiness. The intentions of colors will change with target audiences, but in no case should be scoffed at. In another way, attention to detail has also helped me in my studies. In writing, certain words have connotations, and should be only used in very specific situations. For instance, "one" is used in place of "you" to keep a more professional tone. All in all, this project has opened my eyes to detail, and I'll never see the world the same way

How has your experience helped you to answer your essential question?

  • when I established essential question, my mentor quickly answered the question with "target audiences". Ever since, every task I worked on up until now and even my other two answers have mentioned and referenced back to that same term in one way or another. For example, when designing packaging for a game, one has to consider who's looking at it, and do the best sway their decision. In rebooting, once again, one has to consider who they're trying to attract. Essentially, my mentorship kind of hammered in the idea that target audiences are important because without them, a game pitch will be shot in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment